We are pleased to announce the winner of the 2013 Les Figues Press NOS (not otherwise specified) Book Contest, as selected by guest judge Aimee Bender:
by Colin Winnette
Coyote is the story of a brutal marriage and a daughter’s disappearance. There is something underneath the house. There are coyotes in the woods. About Coyote, Aimee Bender writes: “Coyote has a strong and inviting voice and that voice wraps around a dark story, a contemporary story, and one that has its own velocity and fragmentation built in. I found myself swept along in it and impacted by its delicate/bleak movement.”
Coyote will be published in Fall 2014. Colin is the author of three previous books: Revelation, Animal Collection, and Fondly, one of Salon.com’s Best Books of 2013. He lives in San Francisco.
We are also pleased to announce that the editors have selected Leave Your Body Behind by Sandra Doller as an NOS editors’ selection. Leave Your Body Behind will be published in Fall 2014.
Congratulations to each of the 2013 NOS Contest Finalists (listed in alphabetical order by author name):
- Dear Herculine | Aaron Apps
- Transcripts of Tree Talks: Southern Arizona | Wendy Burk
- this is the fugitive | Mina Pam Dick
- Simple Machines | Barbara Duffey
- Sonata for Piano and Violin | Matthew Gasda
- Horse Poems | Nicholas Katzban
- Gray Market | Krystal Languell
- The Vermont Studio Center Experiments: A Legend in Shorts | Rachel May
- 1.5 – 9.11 (from C o n t i n u u m) | Stephen Ratcliffe
- Our Hero | Maura Stanton
- The Getty Fiend | Ken White
The 2014 NOS Contest will be open for submissions in June, with a mid-September deadline. More info coming soon.
Photo credit: Stacia Torborg