Les Figues Press | Kathy Acker Fellowship
In honor of experimental novelist, punk poet, essayist, and sex-positive feminist writer Kathy Acker, and in support of innovative, exceptional text-based practices, Les Figues Press is now offering a Kathy Acker Fellowship.
The Kathy Acker Fellowship provides a part-time, 9-month appointment for an emerging writer/artist, literary editor, or arts curator/organizer. The Kathy Acker Fellow will learn the ins-and-outs of small press publishing while also completing a curatorial project in the City of West Hollywood.
The 2015 Fellow will help coordinate Memes/Manifestos, two related but discrete events to be held at the MAK Center Schindler House. Both events focus on using language to make social and artistic change, and include a performance or panel discussion to be followed by a writing workshop. The first event, Memes, will convene former Queer Nationals to talk about the group’s historic use of slogans and stickers as a form of social protest and propaganda, before leading the audience in a sticker-making workshop. Memes will be held on Saturday, June 27, 2015, in conversation with the City’s co-sponsored exhibit Art/AIDS/America at MOCA PDC. The second event, Manifestos, will feature artists and writers published in the forthcoming Les Figues title TrenchArt Monographs: hurry up please its time. Manifestos will include an evening performance and a day-long writing workshop, in which attendees will be encouraged to reflect on and articulate their own practice in cultural and social terms. Manifestos is scheduled for November 21-22, 2015.
Kathy Acker Fellows will receive a full-scholarship to attend Figues Camp in July 2015. As Kathy Acker’s desk is housed in the Les Figues offices, Fellows will also be able to use Acker’s desk as a workstation.
• In collaboration with LF staff, coordinate Memes/Manifestos event, from drafting artist/writer invitation, to day-of scheduling, to evaluation procedures.
• Work with LF staff to develop and implement an event publicity plan, including drafting promotional materials (print and online) and strategizing ways to ensure robust audience participation.
• Assist with updating/maintaining PR list and utilizing media assets (photos/videos/etc) to better promote events.
• Read/proofread Les Figues titles, and work collaboratively with the LF team of staff and interns to develop marketing materials for new releases.
• Help maintain LF website, including serving as a lead editor for the Les Figues Blog.
• Assist with additional marketing tasks, such as drafting email blasts, member letters, etc., as needed.
• Assist with mailings and other administrative duties, as needed.
• Demonstrated experience in event coordination, especially literary/performance-based events and/or workshops.
• Excellent writing and proofreading skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to listen respectfully and to communicate with skill and compassion.
• Familiarity/proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Internet proficiency, including basic online and social media content management and editing.
• Organized, detail-oriented, reliable.
• Will reside in the Los Angeles area for the duration of the Fellowship. This position is located in our editorial office in Los Angeles, California.
• Valid CA drivers license and clean driving record.
This part-time fellowship begins in March 2015 and ends in November 2015. The stipend is $4,600 for the term of the fellowship ($12.50/hour, estimated at 10 hrs/week for maximum of 368 hours).
The Fellowship is offered with the support of the Literary Trust of Kathy Acker; funding is provided through a City Arts Grant for the City of West Hollywood, and from proceeds earned from Figues Camp.
This opportunity does not provide funds for relocation.
How to Apply:
Please email the following to Andrew Wessels, with the subject line [Kathy Acker Fellowship]:
• Letter of Interest (including short narrative of your history, interests, and how this position fits your plans)
• Design/Writing/Curatorial Portfolio (please send 3-5 documents and/or links that showcase your work as a designer, writer, and/or curator.)
We will begin reviewing applications and interviewing immediately.
This is a part-time, at-will position, compensated at an hourly rate of $12.50/hour for a set maximum number of hours. This position does not include benefits, sick leave or vacation leave.
Other information: Candidate should be generally healthy and fit—this position requires ability to sit for long periods, to be able to get up and down stairs, lift boxes of books that can weigh more than 50lbs, like to be around dogs, and to be able to occasionally work long days.
Immigration Laws: For purposes of federal immigration laws, you will be required to provide to Les Figues Press documentary evidence of your identity and eligibility for employment in the United States. Such documentation must be provided within 5 business days of the effective date of your employment, or your employment relationship with Les Figues Press will be terminated.
Les Figues Press will not discriminate and will take measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, sex or sexual orientation.